My general research interest lies in Dynamical Systems with a focus on bifurcation theory and related numerical algorithms,
and mathematical modelling with a clinical or biological aspect. Specifically, treating stroke and epilepsy is still a challenge.
Models may explain phenomena and identify key parameters identifying effective therapeutic targets or neuromodulation.
Synapsen under Stress
2022-2025: Second round of DFG-project RU 2795.
2018-2021: Daily supervision of PhD-student Manu Kalia in the DFG-project FOR 2795
. A description of his research is
, and is in close collaboration CR Rose (Dusseldorf) and MJAM van Putten (UT).
2022-2025: Daily supervision of Lucas Jansen Klomp (PhD) with Janine Post (DBE, UT) on mathematical analysis of gene-regulatory networks for cell differentiation, in the project SCI-MAP led by I Meulenbelt (Leiden).
- (2014-2019) ZonMW-NEF Project "From neural mass models to clinical protocols" with FSS Leijten, GJM Huiskamp from UMC Utrect. Involved supervision of
PhD-student Jurgen Hebbink. See our blog for more information, and our Twente
Seconds Movie .
See our app the Resector (also a Dutch version) for an
illustration of the ideas of our work, or our ZonMw Webinar related to the pearl award.
- (2010-2015) PaInsight: Parameter Identification of the Nociceptive System for Improved monitoring of chronic pain development, funded by STW (Now TTW)
co-applicant with JR Buitenweg, Supervision of PhD-student Huan Yang for modelling parts of the nociceptive system and parameter estimation.
- (Fall 2011) During a visit to S. Coombes,
I have been able to show it is possible and the next challenge is to determine spectral stability in general.
- (2008-2013) Modelling neural activity in Parkinson's Disease and Deep Brain Stimulation, together with M.A.J. Lourens.
Funding within the project Braingain by Smartmix.
- (2007-2009) Modelling cognitive dynamics of the saltation phenomenon, EEG activity during Pulse-Train
modulation as part of EU-project Somaps (FP6-2005-NEST-Path No. 043432 awarded to R. Holzl).
- (2003-2008) Analysis of unfoldings of local codim 2 bifurcations and their perturbations. Derivation and implementation of
algorithms for center manifold computations: derive nondegeneracy conditions and implement branch-switching to codim 1
bifurcations of cycles in ODE's and maps.